Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System LPN CMC Center for FM Grassy Pond in Gaffney, South Carolina
The rural health nurse practices professional nursing in communities with relatively low populations that are geographically and often culturally isolated. Rural nurses have close ties to and interaction with the communities in which they practice. The rural health nurse understands the region in which one is practicing, as well as an in-depth awareness of cultural norms and values. The rural health nurse values the close interaction they have with the individuals, families, and communities they serve.
The rural health nurse is responsible for both clinical and administrative duties ranging from patient interaction and care to scheduling appointments and assisting patients in filling out forms.
Core Job Responsibilities
· Perform physical assessment by measuring and recording vital signs, obtaining patient medical history and chief complaint. Record information accurately in the medical record.
· Prepare exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments and supplies.
· Prepare and maintain supplies and equipment for treatment.
· Assist with scheduling of tests, treatments, and managing patient referrals.
· Prepare patient for examination.
· Phlebotomy, finger sticks, and collection of other lab specimens.
· Assist the provider with exams and minor office surgery.
· Adhere to and practice appropriate infection control policies and procedures.
· Screens, manages, and follows up telephone messages from patients, referrals, and pharmacies.
· Prepare and send prescriptions electronically per provider’s orders.
· Performs waived lab tests, EKGs, and administers injections.
· Applies dressing and remove sutures as ordered by the provider.
· Use CPR skills when required.
· Dispose of biohazard waste according to state standards.
· Maintain OSHA requirements and practice OSHA standards.
· Perform accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times.
· Perform duties and adhere to requirements of Rural Health Clinic Standards as they relate to Corporate Compliance, Human Resources, Infection Prevention, Equipment Maintenance, Quality, and Regulatory Management.
· Possess a wide knowledge of resources available within the community.
· Possess ability to adapt to the resources that are available.
· Possess the ability to use innovative and creative solutions to manage challenges in the Rural Health Clinic.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Graduate of a Practical Nursing Program
· South Carolina LPN Nursing License
· Current CPR certification