NHC HealthCare, Charleston Dietary Aide in Charleston, South Carolina
Performs various duties associated with the production and service of patient meals.
Directory of Dietary / Dietary Manager / Assistant Dietary Manager / Cook
- Must have a sincere interest in foodservice and enjoy working with geriatric and other healthcare patients.
- Must have, or be willing to learn, food preparation, and simple cooking skills.
- Must have knowledge of, or be willing to learn, therapeutic and modified diet information to use in preparing and serving patient trays.
- Must have knowledge of, or be willing to learn, correct sanitation procedures and use these on a daily basis.
- Must be willing to perform repetitive tasks daily.
- Must possess and use excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Must be able to follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Must be able to speak and understand English. May be required to have reading skills.
- Must be able to read and/or understand labels on chemicals and MSDS sheets and be able to use these products safely and correctly.
- Must be in good mental and physical condition.
- Must work cooperatively and productively with all partners in Dietary and in all departments following established policies of the center.
- Must be willing to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, must be at work on time and during scheduled shift.
- May be required to have or obtain a Food Handlers Certificate or Sanitation Course, as required by state regulations.
Must be able to work under supervision. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to be on feet standing or walking most of the working day and must be able to bend, stoop, squat, and twist numerous times daily.
- Must be able to lift 50-60 pounds, sweep and mop floors, and push/pull carts. Must be able to climb on safety ladders to perform cleaning, storage, or other duties.
- Must be able to carry out fine motor skills and manual dexterity requirements.
- Must possess mental acuity high enough to adequately perform job requirements.
- Must be able to see and hear adequately in order to respond to auditory and visual requests from patients as well as communicate with staff.
- Must be able to handle and use all food service equipment of standard height and design used in food preparation, service, and cleanliness.
- Must be able to taste and smell foods to determine quality and palatability.
- Must be able to withstand changes of extreme temperatures while working around ranges in kitchens or entering walk-in freezer, etc. In dishroom, must be able to work in a noisy room with a warm, moist, and odorous atmosphere.
- Must be alert and work safely and cautiously to avoid cuts and burns while working with kitchen equipment and to avoid falls while working on or near wet and slippery floors.
- Must not have any medical conditions which would endanger self or others if such should occur while in the Dietary Department or during patient contact. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Are determined by the center and may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Must demonstrate qualities of being a self-starter and be able to make independent decisions when necessary.
- Has a thorough understanding of all regulations (local, state, and federal) which affect dietary including, but not limited to, patient care, sanitation, labor, fire, safety, and disaster and complies to these regulations.
- Assists in maintaining the dietary department in a safe, secure, and sanitary manner and reports any problems to the Dietary Manager.
- Uses good judgment in conserving supplies, preventing food waste, and conserving utilities. Reports any food, supply, and equipment needs or concerns to the Dietary Manager.
- Assists in receiving and storing food and supplies to prevent waste and assure quality products. Dates, labels, and stores items properly. Uses proper food handling techniques.
- Responsible for scraping, stacking, washing, and sanitizing dishes, flatware, utensils, pots/pans, etc. and for removing broken and chipped dishes and glassware from use. Wraps flatware if needed.
- Properly transports and stores dishes, flatware, utensils, pots/pans, etc. Responsible for having sufficient quantities of clean and sanitized dishes, flatware, utensils, pots/pans, etc. to meet time schedule for meal preparation and service.
- Cleans and sanitizes the dish machine and dish room. Empties and cleans/sanitizes the trash can. Keeps work area clean and uncluttered and completes assigned cleaning duties.
- Assists cook, if needed, in preparing and serving foods for all diets, including therapeutic diets, according to planned menus, using proper portions and special diet items. Prepares beverages, breads, and other menu items as assigned.
- Communicates and cooperates with the staff, patients, and their families.
- Sets up trays for service, sorts diet cards and/or selective menus.
- Serves trays on tray line and checks trays for accuracy of diets, preferences, and quality before they are delivered. Delivers carts to floors as needed.
- Busses tables in dining room; cleans/sanitizes table tops.
- Attends in-service and other necessary training.
- In absence of the Director of Dietary, Dietary Manager, and Assistant Dietary Manager, is responsible to the cook for supervision in the Dietary Department
- Adheres to the dress code for the department.
- Performs other tasks as necessary and appropriate.